Tuesday, April 13, 2010

John Deere Utility Trailer Review

By Mark J. Donovan

This past weekend I broke down and bought a John Deere Utility Trailer to complement my John Deere X304 tractor lawnmower that I had purchased last fall. I had been debating purchasing the utility trailer for months. However, this past weekend I finally broke down and purchased one. The tipping point for me was that I had to spread 5 yards of mulch, and when I pulled out my wheelbarrow and could not inflate the tubeless tire I said enough. I must have taken 2 or 3 different wheelbarrow tires down to the garage to have them pumped up over the past couple of years and I was fed up with it. I never remember having so many problems with wheelbarrow tires in decades ago. These new tubeless tires appear to be junk.

Anyways, I digress. After spending about an hour putting together the John Deere utility trailer I put it right to use. It holds 10 cubic feet and really helped to speed up the mulch spreading project. John Deere also sells a 17 cubic foot utility trailer, but I found the 10 cubic foot one to be more than adequate. What I really liked about my new utility trailer was the fact that it had an easy tipping mechanism to allow me to dump the mulch.

The only gripe I had with the utility trailer was that the tongue bent the back tractor hitch plate. With the X304 it has 4 will turning. Consequently you can make some really tight turns. Apparently the turns were a little too tight for the utility trailer. The utility trailer tongue pinched the sides of the tractor trailer hitch plate and caused some minor twists in the metal.

Other than that one problem, I am very happy with my new John Deere Utility Trailer purchase. I’ll just make sure I keep my turns a little wider going forward.

No comments: