Every Successful Bathroom Remodeling Project Starts with a Plan
By Mark J. Donovan
If you are considering remodeling a bathroom make sure you have a complete bathroom renovation plan in place before starting your demolition. Bathroom remodeling plans mean more than just a set of blueprints or sketches. A complete set of bathroom renovation plans includes a documented sequence of items and events that must happen to successfully complete the bathroom remodel.
When kicking off a bathroom remodeling project grab a pad of paper and pencil and write down all of the things you think you need to do to have a successful bathroom renovation project. Then put the pad of paper and pencil aside and come back to it the next day. I guarantee you that over the next day you’ll have several revelations on what else you want to include in your bathroom remodeling project and additional things that must be done in order to complete it.
To give you some ideas on what to include in your bathroom remodeling plans I have put together a brief list below.
- Operating budget (Cash or Financing Required)
- Sketch of bathroom remodeling plans
- List of new bathroom fixtures (Vanity, Sink, Tub/Shower, Toilet, Window Treatments, Towel and Toilet Paper Racks, Mirror, etc.)
- Visiting Plumbing Supply Stores for Selecting Fixtures and determining lead times
- Flooring and Wall Plans (e.g. Ceramic Tile)
- Architectural Blueprints (if needed)
- Permits for framing, electrical and/or plumbing modifications - (Check with local building inspector to see if required)
- Demolishing and Trash Removal (will a dumpster be required)
- Who will do the work (Is this a sweat equity project, contracted project, or some combination thereof)
- Desired Timeline
- Finding and interviewing bathroom remodeling contractor candidates
This list is not a comprehensive list, but is a good start to any bathroom remodeling plan. If you would like a more comprehensive set of questions to ask yourself and prospective bathroom remodeling contractors see my Bathroom Remodeling Bid Sheet. Besides a comprehensive questionnaire for contractors to respond to, it also includes tips and advice to the homeowner on how to interpret the contractor responses and what to watch out for in bathroom remodeling contractor bids. This information is extremely valuable in ensuring you hire the right bathroom remodeling contractor. Hiring the wrong one could cost you a fortune in time, money and frustration, not to mention legal battles.
In addition to the questionnaire, and tips and advice sections, a separate Excel Cost breakdown spreadsheet is provided to allow you to track your own bathroom remodeling costs.
So before you start your bathroom renovation project, develop a complete set of bathroom remodeling plans. You’ll save yourself a great deal of frustration and money, and more likely end up with the bathroom of your dreams.