Sunday, January 03, 2010

Removing Fiberglass Shower Pan

A New Video on How to Remove an Old Fiberglass Shower Pan

By Mark J. Donovan


In the below video, I show the third stage in remodeling a custom ceramic tile shower, the removal of the old fiberglass shower pan.

After removing the old ceramic wall tile and backer board from the shower area, I then proceeded to remove the old fiberglass shower pan. This was a simple process. All that was required to remove the fiberglass shower pan was to drill out the rubber seal flange around the perimeter of the shower drain. After drilling enough holes around the perimeter of the shower drain and cutting away some of the rubber flange from the drain I was able to simply lift the fiberglass shower pan off of the existing shower drain.

To prevent putting too much pressure on the shower drain pipe I used a screw driver to hold it in place as I lifted the fiberglass shower pan off of it. I also put a large rag in the drain pipe to prevent any loose rubber flange pieces from falling into the drain.

I also was fortunate in the fact that there were no existing metal flange brackets holding the fiberglass shower pan to the wall studs.

No comments: