Monday, October 11, 2010

Prevent Bat Home Invasions with Foam Insulation

By Mark J. Donovan

Today I installed foam insulation along my home’s roof line, between the rake trim boards and clapboard siding. There is about a ½ to ¾ inch air gap between the two. I installed the foam insulation to prevent bats from congregating in my roof eaves and working their way into my attic.

Over the years I would occasionally find the random bat in my home’s attic, however this year while looking up at my home’s roof during dusk, I saw about a dozen bats exit from under the rake trim boards into the night air. The following afternoon I took a garden hose and sprayed water up into the area where I saw the bats exit the home. Sure enough, about a dozen bats flew out from underneath the rake boards.

By installing the foam insulation, the same foam insulation that is used to wrap plumbing pipes, I hope to prevent the bats from setting up home in my house. I simply used a metal claw to push the insulation up in between the rake boards and the clapboard siding. It wedged in nice and tightly so I am not concerned about it working its way out.

So if you see signs of bats in your attic, e.g. actual bats or bat guano, or observe them exiting the rake boards on your home, consider installing foam insulation tubes in any potential openings along your home’s roof line. It’s inexpensive and easy to do. Just be careful on the ladders. Also, you may want to install the foam insulation tubes shortly after sunset when the bats have exited your home. This way you want trap or squish any when installing the insulation.

No comments: