By Mark J. Donovan
Traditional Metal roof systems have both advantages and disadvantages.
Metal Roof System Advantages
- Frequently offer longer warranties than asphalt shingles
- Fire retardant
- They are light weight and thus installation is easier
- They are resistant to rot and insect damage
- They help to reduce attic heat by reflecting the sun’s radiant heat
Metal Roof System Disadvantages
- Traditional metal roof systems are notoriously expensive
- They are prone to denting and marring
- They are difficult to patch or repair
- They can be noisy
- They are difficult to walk on due to slipping and denting concerns
This said there are advancements in metal roof systems. New products on the market have stone-coated surfaces that provide for the look of a traditional asphalt shingle.
To learn more on roofing and shingling see: More on Roofing