By Mark J. Donovan
When in need of house plans, homeowners frequently think of an architect and then go out and buy a house plan magazine instead.
If you are in the process of looking for house plans to build a new home, you should not be so quick to dismiss the use of an architect and their services.
An architect provides more than a set of house plans and drawings. An architect transforms your dream home concepts into a home design that meets all building code requirements and your dreams.
Architect services include much more than providing house plans or drawings, and blueprints.
- They initially meet with you to understand your home ideas and goals.
- They develop initial concept sketches for your review and approval.
- They perform site and environmental inspections.
- They review all local building codes.
- They develop detailed engineering house plan drawings and Bills of Materials.
- They can specify every single finish piece of material in the home.
In the end they deliver to you a full set of construction plans for you to go out and request contractor bids.
Architect services can also include support during the bidding process and home construction. They can make sure you hire the right contractor for your project. They can also ensure that the actual construction of the home meets the construction plans and all code requirements.
So again, if you are thinking a new custom home project, talk to a couple of architects before running out and buying an off-the-shelf house plan from your local bookstore. You may be surprised in what they can offer.
To learn more see: Architecture Design Service Process